Spare covers add to the Jeep’s aesthetic appeal in addition to protecting the spare tire from elements. This is the main reason why many Jeep enthusiasts love the cover. However, for this reason, thieves love the spare tires too
So how do you secure your spare tire cover? Now ofcourse, if thieves want your spare tire bad enough, nothing can stop them. But adding something that will make them put in some more effort to get the spare tire cover is worth every dollar spent. Many hard-shell spare tire covers come with a latch that can be locked using keys to keep the spare tire cover secure. But if you buy a soft spare tire cover, you will need to figure out how to secure it. You can use a simple bike lock to secure your soft spare tire cover. Two deterrent devices, such as a cable and a lock, can also be used. Some excellent options come from Gorilla locks, Smittybilt, and Bolt locks.
How To Secure Jeep Soft Spare Tire Cover: Steps
Below are the steps involved in securing a soft spare tire;
Step 1: Installing the Spare Tire Cover
If the spare tire cover is not yet installed on your Jeep, you will have to start by installing it.
Installing a spare tire cover on a jeep is easy, as demonstrated below:
- Ensure that you have the ideal spare tire cover. You can do this by confirming the size of your spare tire cover and comparing the size to that of your spare tire. If the size of your spare tire is small, it will not fit, and if you have one that is too large, it will not look good on your Jeep.
- Line the cover with the spare tire.
- Stretch the elastic evenly around the tire until it fully wraps over the tread.
- Once the tire is fully covered, check the cover design and adjust the cover if it is not straight. Then slowly pull and stretch the cover until you achieve a smooth finish once the design is in the right position.
Step 2: Securing the Soft Spare Tire Cover with cable and lock
Securing the soft spare tire cover is easy. Below is how you can secure your spare tire cover:
- Open the back door. This will allow easy access to the cover portion facing toward the Jeep.
- Trace the holes on the cover.
- Loop the security cable of your choice through the holes.
- Wrap the cable around the tire mount.
- Hold the ends of the cable together and lock it in place. Your spare tire cover is now secure, and you can close the back door of your Jeep.
Step 3: Securing the Soft Spare Tire Cover with a Bike Lock
You can also use a bike lock if you don’t have a cable and lock. Doing this is easy, as demonstrated below:
- After the spare tire cover installation, open the back door of your Jeep. This will allow you to access the cover portion facing toward the Jeep.
- Trace the holes on the cover. The holes are just above the elastic portion of the cover and have a metallic ring.
- Loop one end of the bike lock through the holes.
- Wrap the bike lock around the tire mount.
- Lock your bike lock.
- Your spare tire cover is now secure, and you can close the back door.
The Significance of Spare Tire Covers for Jeeps
Nobody wants to commute to work and discover their spare tire has been stolen. A suitable cover makes removing the spare’s bolts harder and discourages theft.
Maintaining your spare is simple with a cover. After desert off-roading, you’ll have one fewer things to be concerned about when cleaning off your car. Additionally, your tire will be shielded from direct sunlight, which can weaken your spare tire’s rubber and cause sidewall cracks and reduce its structural integrity.
A Jeep spare tire cover is a fantastic way to express your uniqueness. Drivers can express themselves and distinguish themselves from the crowd by selecting a fun pattern or personalizing a saying.
Types of Jeep Tire Covers
Vinyl Tire Covers
These covers are made from a durable vinyl material and are designed to protect tires from sun, rain, and other elements. They are easy to install and remove, and are available in a variety of colors and designs.
Fabric Tire Covers
Fabric tire covers are made from a durable, water-resistant material and are designed to protect tires from sun, rain, and other elements. They are easy to install and remove, and are available in a variety of colors and designs.
Custom Tire Covers
These covers are designed and manufactured to fit specific Jeep models and tire sizes. They are made from a durable, water-resistant material and are designed to protect tires from sun, rain, and other elements.
Camouflage Tire Covers
These covers are designed to blend in with the natural surroundings and are perfect for off-road adventures. They are made from a durable, water-resistant material and are designed to protect tires from sun, rain, and other elements.
Spare Tire Covers
These covers are specifically designed to fit the spare tire on a Jeep. They are made from a durable, water-resistant material and are designed to protect the spare tire from sun, rain, and other elements.
Installation Video – Boomerang Rigid Tire Covers for the Jeep® JL Wrangler (Must Watch Video)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What to Consider When Buying a Spare Tire Cover
When looking for a tire cover, it’s crucial to think about the driving you do and choose a design that can endure the weather where you are right now.
What is the Best Material For Jeep Spare Tire Covers
The best material for Jeep spare tire covers is hard plastic. This can be expensive, though. The second best alternative is vinyl and polyester. Fabric covers are the least costly, but since they deteriorate quickly, you will have to replace them more oftenly.
Are Spare Tire Covers Worth It?
Yes. Having a spare tire cover will protect your spare tire not only from the elements that can harm it but also from thieves. This is because the cover will prevent thieves from accessing the bolts of your spare tire. Another advantage of a spare tire cover is that it adds to your car’s overall appeal.
Why Do Jeep Have Spare Tire Covers?
Jeeps have spare tire covers to protect the spare tire from elements such as the sun that can cause damage to the tire. The covers also help in adding to the aesthetic appeal of the Jeep.
Do Jeep Spare Tire Covers Protect From Dry Rot?
Spare tire covers can prevent a spare tire from dry rotting. This is because the covers block the heat coming from the sun from reaching the tires, which can directly cause dry rotting.
We hope this article helped you answer the question of how to secure Jeep spare tire cover. Most of the hard shell spare tires come with a latch that can be locked using keys, securing the cover in place.
On the other hard, if you have a soft spare tire cover, you can secure it with a cable and a lock. A Bike lock can also be used.