Sometimes we think of fitting an inch oversized tire on a small rim and we don’t take it seriously. But do you know this one inch may do some serious effect on your vehicle wheel? If you also want to fit a small rim on a big tire then you should read this article. In this article, we will discuss about Can You Fit 17 inch Tires on 16 inch Rims?
Can You Fit 17 inch Tires on 16 inch Rims
The problem that most people face while changing their old tire is the size of tire and rim. People have a curiosity: can we fit a 17 inch tire on a 16 inch rim? This section is going to tell you everything about that.
The answer is yes. It can be done, but it’s not easy. It’s because the ratio of the wheel size and rim isn’t proportionate to each other. When the rim size is half the size of the tire size, the rim fits well. For example, 18-inch rims fit 35-inch tires perfectly.
However, you need to know a few things about the tire and rim sizes before you attempt this. Though it is possible to do but you will face a number of problems later and the wheel will not behave naturally.
First of all, 16-inch rims are typically used on cars and trucks with standard adult tires that measure around 235/60R16. The 17-inch tire size is usually found on off-road vehicles like SUVs and pickup trucks with tire sizes of 275/65R17.
Here’s a list of 3 popular 17-inch tires you can check out.
So, if you have a vehicle with 16 inch rims and want to put in a 17 inch tire, the first thing you need to do is switch your rims from 16 inches to 17 inches. However, doing this can be difficult because the body of the new rim needs to be stretched out enough for the new tire size.
How to Fit a 17 inch Tire on a 16 inch Rim?
Like I mentioned before, most people are curious about whether or not it is possible to fit an oversized tire on a smaller rim. We know that you can fit a 17 inch tire on a 16 inch rim. But to do that, you have to keep some points in mind. The process is almost the same as the normal tire replacement process. You just have to stretch the rim a little or you may do it normally.
- Step 1: You have to remove the stock lug nuts and replace them with bolts that have been shortened by one inch each.
- Step 2: The second step that is required for this process is to cut the rubber gasket around the inside of the new tire. This has to be done carefully in order to avoid puncturing the tire itself.
- Step 3: Now you will need to use a c-clamp or vice-grip and press down on the center of each wheel until it just touches the hub. This will ensure that all four wheels are flush with one another.
- Step 4: Now that you’ve completed these steps, you can install your new tires.
- Step 5: Now use a jack to raise the vehicle up and place it on a jack stand.
- Step 6: Next, attach the shorter bolts to the rims using the hardware included with your new tire.
- Step 7: Now, using the hardware that comes with your new tire, remove all of the lug nuts and replace them with longer ones.
- Step 8: Next, mount your new tire, starting at one side and tightening all of your lug nuts as you go along.
- Step 9: Finally, lower your vehicle back down again and tighten your lug nuts one more time for good measure.
This process is also applicable if you want to fit a 10-inch rim in the 10.5-inch tire. But you’ll have to struggle less in that case.
If the tire is longer than your rim then your vehicle will face some problems that are really not good for you and your vehicle. If you look at the following effects of a longer tire then you will get an idea about the seriousness of this.
- The tires can wear out quickly
- The weight of the car can be increased
- Lack of traction on snowy and icy roads
- Can cause damage to the car’s suspension system
- The tire can slip off the rim at high speeds
For these reasons, experts and mechanics do not suggest you use oversized tires for any vehicle. I also do not encourage you to do that. You should not do that.
Frequently Asked Question(FAQ)
Q: What Size Tires Can You Put on a 16 inch Rim?
Ans: What size tires you can put on a 16 inch rim depends on many things. There are a number of options for the 16 rim. You may use any of them based on seasons, size and models. But I think 255/50-16 will be best.
Q: How Big of a Tire Can You Put on a 17 inch Rim?
Ans: The perfect sizes for a 17 inch rim are many. You may use one of these based on your vehicle and its wheel size recommended by the manufacturer. But you may use up to a 54-inch tire in diameter (54/19.5R17) on a 17 inch rim.
Q: Are 16 inch Wheels Better Than 17 inches?
Ans: In the simple sentence, the answer is No. Which one will be better depends on your vehicle model. Some need 16 inches and some need 17 inches.
Q: Can You Change Rim Without Changing Tire?
Ans: Yes, you can change the rim without changing the tire of your vehicle. But to do that, you have to remove both first. Then you have to remove the tire from the rim. After that, you have to fit the old tire with the rim and add it to the vehicle axle.
Finally, I want to say that though you have the right and option to use a 17 inch tire on a 16 inch rim but you should not do that. That will decrease the vehicle’s performance and that will harm the vehicle in the long run. You should use the perfect size tire for your vehicle that is recommended by the manufacturer. But if the situation is different and you have no other option except an oversized tire then you may do that for a short period of time.